The web server is back online and we have a new version of MTX available.
The new version brings with it an offline mode, allowing you to install games and updates when the web servers are down. A critical flaw in our design pattern has been addressed where MTX would fail when our servers went down. There are risks involved with installing and updating in offline mode as the client can't verify the files to make sure they haven't become corrupted, but it does give you the option if you wish to install when the web server is unavailable. If the files are corrupted, you will have to re-download and reinstall in order to connect to servers running the correct version. If you already obtained the MTX patches else where then you should be able to download and install those patches with MTX by using the Browse > Open *.mtx function.
We've also removed the skin from MTX in this version. At some point we will allow for custom skins so you will have the ability to customize MTX's appearance. The public outcry of the application being laggy has been addressed and the result is a much more snappy windows form application.
We strongly recommend that you install the current public beta version 18.104.22.168 by clicking here. This version is not dependent on our website and should function much better under heavy traffic.
Some people have expressed questions and concerns about using MTX to install the game.
The main reason we are using MTX to deliver this free distribution of Mechwarrior: Mercenaries is to be able to serve the many updates we have planned in the near future. Patching and updating Mercs without an easy method of distribution to the amount of people who will need the patches and updates, will become a much larger problem than simply being patient with us and MTX while we work out the bugs. The community will fragment with all the different versions that will be out there once we start releasing updates without a system in place to deliver the updates to everyone playing the free release. We are aware of hardware issues and long standing bugs with Mechwarrior4 which we plan to address in the future. Also worth noting that we are planning to release more Mechwarrior titles via MTX in the future. We realize MTX caused grief for many folk and we apologize. We hope our 100,000 guests that crashed our server this weekend will return and not be too disgruntled.
MekTek will be releasing a self extracting installer containing both MTX and Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries very shortly. However, in the meantime, if you have your MTX files, download the new installer of MTX, and give it a try.
MTX is still in open beta and with your help, we can resolve the issues that some of you are having.
Please remember that we are not being paid to bring you this game, at absolutely no cost to you. But please realize,that there is considerable cost to us, not only in time, but also financially. Between the costs of server upgrades, insurance, lost time from our day jobs, and sleepless nights attempting to bring you this game, we have paid a considerable price. All we ask in return is a little bit of patience.
As we have for the last 10 years, we do what we do for the love of the franchise. Our ultimate goal in this is to help revive Mechwarrior, a series that we hold dear.
Thank you for your continued support.
The MekTek Team.
Finally, the long awaited moment has arrived!
Studio MekTek, in association with Smith and Tinker, INC., Virtual World Entertainment, LLC, Catalyst Game Labs, and Microsoft Games, is happy to announce the release of Mechwarrior4 Free.
Getting started is easy. Just download and install MTX, MekTek's free content delivery and updating system. Once installed, simply click the Games Available tab, select Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries and click install. The game will download and install, all within MTX, and as updates become available, MTX will help you keep your game up to date.
Once again, a big thanks to Microsoft Games and all of our partners for making this free release possible, and a special thanks to all of you in the community. Without our community, MekTek wouldn't be what it is today. Your continued support and financial contributions have made all of this possible.
Download Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries Free Release (1.7 GB) via MTX today!
One of the greatest features of MekPak3.1 and of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries in general, is the ability to customize. Mechwarrior always has been about the Mechlab, especially multiplayer. The Mechlab truly distinguishes MW4 from a long list of shooters that have come out in the past 10 years. The ability to create literally thousands of configurations allows the game to continue in popularity over its lengthy life span. Since the Free Release not only comes with the original mechs and weapons of Mercenaries, but also with the Clan and IS Mech Packs and all the Mektek mechs and weapons here is what you are getting...for free.
- 111 different mechs ranging from 20 to 100 tons.
- 9 Battle Armor
- 6 Infantry
- 32 Beam Weapons
- 43 Ballistic Weapons
- 44 Missile Weapons
- 7 Electronic Components
- 3 different types of armor
And, let's not forget the ability to add Heat Sinks to help with Heat Management, upgrading the Engine to increase Speed, and the option to add armor in incremental amounts. The same Mechlab you love has only gotten better over the years.
As if that wasn't enough, the Free Release comes with many improvements over the original Mercs thanks to the Mektek Mekpaks, like added security and a new kind of zone for multiplayer.
That brings us to what many of you have been looking forward to most of all - the new and exciting features and improvements that have been added solely for this special release.
- Clan and IS Mech Pack mechs available in campaign
- Mektek mechs and weapons added to campaigns
- Zonematch has been replaced with MekMatch in all visible text and is the one and only mech-matching service
- 5 new MekMatch servers to host and play on! You can change servers whenever you like. Each server has a dedicated community to cater to
- League Server
- New Players
- North America
- "Connect" and "Host" default to the last server chosen
For those that will be hosting games:
- New features for dedicated servers like the ability to add a fixed number of bots to a dedicated server upon launch chosen in setup! Bot Levels can also be set. Default game length has been changed to 30 minutes instead of original 10.
- Game loads much quicker and no longer requires a CD
- Original mechs, Clan and IS Mech Pack, and Mektek mechs arranged alphabetically in Mechlab list (no longer have special symbols in front of the mech name except for Battle Armors and Infantry).
- New Screenshot Folder for in-game screenshots (instead of the main Mercs installation folder where it was difficult to locate them).
- LTRI (Long Tom Range Indicator) added when a weapon with trajectory is installed on a mech! Torso pitch angle in degrees is also shown! Even height of mech has been calculated and accounted for in range.
- Mission and Computer Clock added as part of the UI. Mission Clock is a semi-transparent pie chart indicating how much time is left on a multiplayer map!
- Additional Chat state. Besides the in-game chat box's normal and large size you have the option of completely turning off chat (disappears). Pressing the "y" or "u" key (general chat and team chat) causes the chat box to reappear!